Re: exhaust pipe joint splitter

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust pipe joint splitter
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:17:46 -0500
on 12/16/03 3:08 PM, Robert M. Lang at lang@isis.mit.edu wrote:

> I always use oxy-acetylene. The job will be done in two minutes, barring
> the need for the fire extinguisher. Don't laugh. All the grease and crap
> under your TR6 is quite flammable indeed.

Without the oxy- part, I hope.

I use a plumber's acetylene torch which also works quite well and is cheaper
to obtain.

>Side note: we all clamp the muffler clamps too tight. Next time you try to
>get things apart you spend waaaaay to much time getting them apart. What
>I've been doing lately is have flanges welded on the joints so that I can
>easily seperate the pipes when I have to. I remove my differential alot.
>Boy is that job easy when there's no pipes in the way!!!!

After corresponding with Bob 2 winters ago, I have also gone this way
(welded flanges). Getting at the broken diff mount was easy since I didn't
have to wrestle with the frozen pipes.

One other tip for re-assembly. Get yourself one of those sleeve clamps from
NAPA. They do a much better job of distributing the pressure on the pipes
and do not create that dimple in the pipes that makes dis-assembly so much
fun.

Peter
'68 TR250