Re: Critiques of R Williams book

To: "6Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Critiques of R Williams book
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:41:17 -0000
I haven't read it - and I doubt I'll buy it but not because I'm not
interested. I don't own a TR.

In support of Mr. Williams, I would only add that he has probably written a
book that is essentially in a minority as it relates to a specific car. The
title suggests it is a cover-all for the TR6 but this conveniently (and
perhaps unintentionally?) ignores the fact that the car Mr. Williams is
addressing is an injection version? While there were many similarities
between the injection and carburetter versions the build rate between the
two was about 4:1 in favour of the US spec variant and the performance was
way different. Additionally, I'd wager the surviving US spec cars are
probably still more abundant than injection cars anywhere AND the chances
are they are more widely used for racing. I'm not too convinced the average
injected car owner in the UK or Europe would be too willing to put their
cars into competition for two key reasons.
1 There are far fewer of them and
2. The cost of replacement is just too high.
A good injected TR6 will still go for about US$10,000 in the UK and a TR5 in
similar condition for about double that figure.

Jonmac

"In the Shadow of my Father" aka "Life at Triumph"
Still a few copies left. Still time to catch the Christmas mail
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook

---