Update on TR6 motor rebuild

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on TR6 motor rebuild
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:54:54 -0800
        Folks:

        Latest on my motor rebuild.

        Picked up the block, head and crank today, along with the
remaining bits and pieces need to do the assembly. I still need
to paint the block and head, but hope to start assembly this weekend.
        The head was shaved 0.120" to bring it up to around 9.5:1.
I had new exhaust valves and guides installed. Looks pretty good,
especially with all that nice hand porting I did =:-) Additional
performance mods: Lightened flywheel, 3 angle valve job, and a warm cam.
        My local LBC shop recommended I not use US spec TR6 valve
springs, but use 150HP PI springs instead. This eliminates the need
to shim the inner valve spring, and supposedly these springs are a
little stronger (?). It was only about $6 more, so what the heck.
        My lightened fly wheel looks pretty good too. I stayed with the
stock cast iron one, and had a buddy with a lathe shave about 12 pounds
off. I had to have it resurfaced at the machine shop however, since
my friend did not quite get the surface right, and I didn't have the
heart to point out his mistake (He has never done automotive machining,
just industrial). He was such a prince to do it for free, I just said
"thanks".
        Complaint department: There are no timing marks on the new
cam timing set, and I can't find marks on the old one!!! @%#&!!!!
How the heck am I supposed to get the cam in correctly? I suppose
I can use a dial gauge and a degree wheel, but gads! What a pain.
Of course, I didn't mark the old set when I removed it. Mutter, mutter.

        Machine work:
                Deck block 0.010"
                Shave head 0.120"
                Insert new valve guides
                Rebush, resize rods.
                Bore 0.020" oversize
                Clean block and head
                Magnaflux block and head
                Chase all threads
                Resurface flywheel
                Grind crank 0.010"
                3 angle valve seats
                Reface intake valves
                Grind cam, reface lifters (270/272 degrees, 110 LS)
                Total: $1000

        Parts:
                Gaskets
                New Oil pump
                New Water pump
                Front/rear seals
                Timing set
                Exhaust valves, guides
                Valve springs
                New rockers
                New rocker shaft
                0.020" pistons, rings, wristpins
                Thrust washers
                Rod bolts & bushings
                Motor mounts
                Tranny mounts
                Lots of Stainless fasteners.
                Clutch, pressure plate
                Rebuilt starter
                Rebuilt radiator
            Crank and rod bearings
                Total: $1000

        Scary, huh? Could have done it for less. Still, I don't
see how someone could do an honest rebuild for less than about
$1500. I suppose you could just do a top end, or (shudder)
just hone the cylinders and toss in fresh rings w/o all the other
stuff. To do the performance modifications 'only' added $200
or so to the total bill. ("But sweetheart, it's an investment....")
        Well, now to reassemble and then comes the overdrive
addition to the tranny.
        It keeps me off the streets.

        Happy Hanukah & Merry Christmas,

        Vance