TR250 trunions and front suspension questions

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 trunions and front suspension questions
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:05:00 -0500
Trunion wear question:

The female threads on the old Trunion seem fine. There is no sloppiness
in them as I thread or unthread them from the vertical link. I feel no
movement at all. The old trunion feels exactly the same as the new
trunions.

Now if I can explain this.....

There are circular machined faces on the on the trunion where the pivot
  bolt hole is. The lower wishbone arm rides on these machined faces. On
the old trunion the pivot bolt hole appears to be centered "coaxial"
with respect to the machined face -- this is true on both sides of the
old trunion.

On the new trunion, the pivot bolt hole appears to centered "coaxial"
with the machined face on one side of the trunion, but not on the other
side. On the other side, the pivot bolt hole appears to be offset with
respect to the machined face.

Are the new trunions defective?

I'm inclined to use the old trunions -- 60K miles.

Another question:

I have removed the brake caliper mounting plate (#30) from the vertical
link. http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32797

The mating surfaces between the mounting plate and the vertical link
appear to be machined for a close fit, however there is corrosion on
these mating surfaces. I plan to sand or bead blast the suspension parts
and POR-15 them. Can I POR-15 these machined mating surfaces or should I
just clean them up and grease them to help prevent the rust?

Yet another question:

According to Haynes I can remove the stub axle from the vertical link by
placing a soft wood block on the vertical link end of the stub axle and
tapping the stub axle out. Well I'm tapping and nothing is moving. Is
this a good time to revert to my usual solution to mechanical problems
-- that is, get a bigger hammer?  :-)

Merry Christmas

Don Malling