RE: thrust washers, was Engine knock

To: "Kronberg, Peter" <peter.kronberg@hp.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: thrust washers, was Engine knock
From: webb@daikin-america.com
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:03:28 -0600
Pete,

As I said on my earlier post, I am having difficulty feeling the play in
the crank on my '76 so I will drop the pan. On the '74 I could feel some
play but I had a real problem putting a dial gauge on the front pulley of
my '74 - very little clearance (apparently others are better at this than
me). To get a good reading I dropped the pan and got good measurements by
setting the gauge against the crank (it was still a bit tricky to set up
though). With the pan off I could tell that the crank was all the way back
and, once the gauge was set, it was easy to move the crank with the clutch
pedal.

I ended up installing new washers. Oh, and you do NOT need to have the car
on a slope.

Good luck!

Pat

On the subject of thrust washers, can I ask listers for their two cents
on the finer points of "lever"ing the crankshaft forwards and back?
Haynes and Bentley aren't too specific on this. I'm not convinced I'm
doing it correctly, and since the difference between good and bad is
<minimally> only .020", I'm in need of some confidence. For instance, is
it absolutely necessary to do this levering with the car on a slope?
Does depressing the clutch provide adequate forward leverage?
Speaking of confidence, I'd appreciate anyone's tips on dial gauge
placement and/or taking this measurement, in an effort to gain
confidence in the reading thereof.