overheating issue

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: overheating issue
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:33:43 -0800 (PST)
My 72 '6 has dual SU's and headers. It runs VERY well, except that it tends to
overheat when idling in traffic. (Imagine that - a British car that overheats!)
It has an electric cooling fan with an override switch that allows me to turn
it on manually, which I do in that situation. Still, the temp guage goes up
pretty blasted fast.

I am reluctant to mess with the timing and advance because it runs so well
otherwise. The water pumps seems okay - no noises. The previous owner had the
radiator rebuilt. I am thinking that putting a different pulley on the water
pump to make it turn faster would help. Anybody have experience with this? Any
opinions? Any shameless self-promotion of parts that would solve this problem?

I envy you guys that got TR parts for Xmas. All I got was my grandfather's
1940's era leather jacket, refurbished with a new satin lining. I guess maybe
my wife knows what's best for me!  I have started spreading the TR mojo to my
next generation. Both of my girls (11 & 8) got Triumph shirts, which they
really liked. My wife got some Triumph earrings and a pair of Union Jack
undies. She has agreed to wear the earrings. I'll have to get back to you on
the underwear.

In closing, I want to thank each of you wonderful folks for your knowledge,
generosity, and enthusiasm for this hobby. And also your patience with my goofy
questions and my sometimes impertinent comments. This has been wonderful
therapy for a small businessman who spends too much time on his business.

Jim Jones
'72 Emerald