RE: Engine knock

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine knock
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <peter.kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:35:09 -0600
Hey All,

On the subject of thrust washers, can I ask listers for their two cents
on the finer points of "lever"ing the crankshaft forwards and back?
Haynes and Bentley aren't too specific on this. I'm not convinced I'm
doing it correctly, and since the difference between good and bad is
<minimally> only .020", I'm in need of some confidence. For instance, is
it absolutely necessary to do this levering with the car on a slope?
Does depressing the clutch provide adequate forward leverage?
Speaking of confidence, I'd appreciate anyone's tips on dial gauge
placement and/or taking this measurement, in an effort to gain
confidence in the reading thereof.

Thanx in advance, and Happy New Year to all.

Pete
'76 CF51563U