Fan Shrouds

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: Fan Shrouds
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:13:48 -0500
Vance Navarrette wrote:

> Is your fan shroud intact? Is it in good condition? If not,
> install one.

In my experience, the fan shrouds contribute minimally to the cooling
capabilities of the TR6.  My last TR6 (a 1974) did not have one, and I
refused to fit one.  The only time that car came close to overheating was
while I sitting in a queue waiting to be permitted access to a regional car
show, I must have been idling in place for 20 minutes easily (stock crank
driven fan as well) and I still did not overheat.  This was for the New Hope
Auto Show here in PA, which is usually held in the first week of August and
the temperature was quite warm that day (upper 80s or so).  That 1974 TR6
served daily driver duty the entire summer of 1999... with numerous days
here in Philadelphia with 95+ temperatures.

My current TR6 (1971) is also lacking a fan shroud, because it was the first
thing I removed when I took possession of the car.  Again, I have yet to
experience any negative impact from doing this.  This car still has its
original crank driven fan as well.

The shape of the TR6 fan shroud is ridiculously wide to be efficient at
moderate road and highway speeds.  One of the reasons I dislike them in the
first place... a shroud with an opening that is 75% of the area of the front
of the radiator would likely be far more effective at all road speeds.  The
addition of a shroud surrounding the fan on the back side of the radiator
would then ensure that the fan operates more efficiently at idle and low
speeds.

However, like I said, running with no shroud should not present an
overheating problem.  Of course, I also take care of the remainder of my
cooling system annually to ensure problem free driving.

Kai