RE:Engine knock, +

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Engine knock, +
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:40:42 -0800 (PST)
From: peter.kronberg@hp.com who wrote:

<On the subject of thrust washers, can I ask listers for their two cents
on the finer points of "lever"ing the crankshaft forwards and back?
Haynes and Bentley aren't too specific on this.>

Peter---I do this using only a large, flat-bladed screwdriver at the
timing pulley, between the cover and the crossover tube. I first lever
the pulley to the rear, stick a finger between the pulley and the
crossover tube, and then lever the pulley forward. I can "feel" if
there's any movement. When you're up against the bone in a finger,
believe me you can feel it!  Is this accurate? Of course not. It won't
tell you how much movement there is, but you can then determine if
measurement with a dial indicator, (or a feeler gauge) is in order.

< Does depressing the clutch provide adequate forward leverage?>

Yes. There is approx. 300 lb. of force behind a disengaged clutch. It
takes much less than this to move a crankshaft forward.

<Speaking of confidence, I'd appreciate anyone's tips on dial gauge
placement and/or taking this measurement, in an effort to gain
confidence in the reading thereof.
Thanx in advance, and Happy New Year to all.
Pete
'76 CF51563U>

I've never been able to get a good dial reading on the pulley of a
mounted engine. It could be that I just don't have the right
configuration of arms to use with the magnetic base post. When enough
movement is "felt" on the outside, I think  dropping the pan is better
for this check. Find a mounting point on the block webbing for the base
that affords the best place for the dial to reach the crank. Lever one
way, zero the dial, lever the other way.

Dick