RE: Engine knock, +

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine knock, +
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:48:05 -0700

Hi Dick,

I suspect many of us may have the same dial gauge setup (el cheapo Far East
dial gauge and magnetic base in my tool kit). I think the problem in getting
a reading lies in the tight confines of the engine bay with everything in
place. Even with the car up on the oil change ramps I find it's cramped and
the gauge and base are just too big for the small space afforded. You end up
with the gauge at an angle to the pulley, etc. Maybe a $$$ gauge and base
are more maneuverable but my cheap stuff is not. So instead, here is what I
do to get a reading I'm comfortable is accurate enough for my needs.

Get a small strong magnet (old computer hard drives are a great source for
this BTW). Also, get a piece of steel roughly the shape of a 12" ruler. I
think the one I use is maybe 1/8" thick. It also has a 1/4" lip along its
long edge (ie. a really tall "L" shaped cross section). The lip will reduce
the flex IMO. Something like the stock battery hold down bar is a good
example of what I mean.

Now with the underside of the car accessible, using the magnet, firmly
attach the steel piece to the crank pulley engine so that you will be able
to take the reading on the steel instead of directly from the pulley. I find
with the steel sticking proud of the pulley, I can position the dial gauge
and base on the block so that reading the crank float is relatively
painless. I don't think the microscopic flex which undoubtedly occurs
affects the accuracy of what we're trying to do.

Of course it still helps to have someone else pushing in the clutch pedal so
you can observe the back and forth motion as you lever the crank back and
they push the crank forward. It's easier to make sure your setup is sturdy
enough if a helper can do the "in car" part of this.

HTH.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO