Re: HP conversion

To: <Opntop@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HP conversion
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:37:53 -0500
> A friend of mine in Belgium has a supercharger setup in his otherwise
> stock TR6 which he had tested on a dyno. The reading taken at the
> wheels is 135 KW in 3rd gear at 5500 RPM's. He tells me to multiply
> that figure by 1.34 to convert it to HP, which gives me 180 HP. Could
> anyone verify this ?
> Thanks and Happy New Year to all.
> Sal

Yes, or more exactly, a bit over 181HP.  However, your friend's TR6
horsepower rating is likely faulty, as chassis dyno readings should never be
taken in 3rd gear.  The rating should be taken in 4th gear, when the gear
ratio is 1:1 and the mechanical losses are at a minimum.  So, favoring your
friend's TR6 (and dismissing any other competency issues of the dyno
operator), his TR6 should have slightly more horsepower than what he quoted
you.

Kai