push rod length

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: push rod length
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:43:30 EST
Hi List
My head is at the shop.  I will have it milled to about 9.5:1 compression
(can I get away with 10:1? without detonation, too much wear?).  I have a mild
cam already.  While I have the head off the car,  what are the most cost
effective head modifications?  I will have the machinist do some mild porting
of  the
intake and exhaust ports, manifold matching for the intake and exhaust header
(falcon from Moss UK came today...amazing, it came in  5 working days), and
polish the combustion chambers.  He has already done a 3-angle valve job.  I've
not tested the springs yet,  but I will test them per Kastner.  At what
combustion ratio and valve lift do I need to worry about screwing up the rocker
geometry or breaking a rocker with too long push rods?  Is there a way of
predetermining  the length push rod needed prior to reassembly of the rocker
gear?
Are there sources for shorter, off the shelf rods, or will I have to shorten
them?  Finally, are tubular push rods,  light weight collars,  lifters,  etc..
worthwhile in a mild performance engine?  And, do I need to replace the
lifters if I didn't change out the cam?  They look fine,  although the dog
knocked
them off the shelf before I could mark their cam orientation.
Anxious to put it all back together
Joe Davis