RE: TR6 engine conversions

To: "'Jim Jones'" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 engine conversions
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:52:19 -0800
.......What I was wondering about is whether there are
any successful engine transplants in the TR6 bay? I'm
not talking about extreme conversions, like Mike's 454
big block. I asking about something more balanced,
more in keeping with the overall performance
characteristics of the car......

Jim,

Let me try to answer your question.  There is a school of thought on engine
transplants that says that a swap should only be performed if there is a
large advantage to be gained with a swap (power, reliability, weight,
etc)because why spend all the time, money, and engineering for no real gain.
If you want to keep the car within the same performance charateristics, then
(the school of thought says) you should just leave the original engine in
place.

Also, I don't know where you live, but in the Peoples Republic of California
(where I live), if you put a later engine (say an engine from an 80's car)
in your TR, you have to also install the emission controls from that later
engine (smog rules follow engine year).  Granted, most folks don't follow
the rule, but its another consideration.  For now, in the PRC,cars 1974 and
older don't have smog inspections, but who to say that the rules won't
change someday.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA