Re: Blind Moose Fabrication shock conversions

To: "Brian Yarborough" <bytr6@frontiernet.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blind Moose Fabrication shock conversions
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:31:02 -0500
> Has anyone tried the Blind Moose Fabrications rear shock
> conversion?  Thery're @http://www.blindmoosefab.com/, and the
> price seems reasonable and it sure seems simple enough, any
> input?
> TIA
> Brian Yarborough

Brian, and anyone else viewing...

I think the Blind Moose Fab conversion is very poorly designed.  Far too
many small welds connecting too many pieces of metal, and that top plate and
its welds are highly stressed.

This is a far better design:

http://astro.temple.edu/~kmr/tr6/shock-bracket.jpg

It has fewer sectioned pieces, a continuous long weld seam and the bracket
is quite a bit more rigid in operation than the Blind Moose design would be.
Unfortunately, the weld splatter was not cleaned up before they were
painted... so appearance on these brackets is not that great, but
considering where they are located and the grime that will likely accumulate
anyway, I did not bother to clean them up.

AFAIK, these are the single piece Moss brackets.  I will double check that
tomorrow before I provide a part number.

Kai