Re: TR6 paint type

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 paint type
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:41:45 EST
In a message dated 2/3/2004 7:20:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:

    Knowing that many North American listers have a need to follow factory
originality, there is perhaps a justification to avoid using original type
paints for a restoration

>  In this instance, operating
> outside the originality box could be a good idea if you want your car to
> last.

John,
I have shown Triumph's judged Concours here in the US for many years at
various Triumph National Club meets including the 6-Pack Trials.  I have never
had
any problems with any judges deducting any points for modern paint finishes.
They may however be just a little more forgiving for minor flaws on a car that
still has it's original paint that was sprayed in England.

I admit that I have never been to the Pebble Beach Concours so one never
knows for sure but I would see no reason to use original UK paint formulations
on
a respray.  Also while were on the subject I always wondered why I have never
seen an original seventies TR7 that did not need a paint job!  Thanks for your
detailed explanation.

Darrell
76 VE TR7 original White and needs paint!
80 TR8  original Poseidon Green and needs paint!
81 TR7  original Pharaoh Gold paint holding up OK but this car has spent most
of it's life under a cover and out of the rain!
Seven other Triumph's all resprayed with modern base coat/clear coat paint
and holding up well.