Re: piston detective

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: piston detective
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:12:22 -0500 (EST)
Hi.

Dan Clancy's situation reminds me of some tidbits about engine
"rebuilding".

Many folks will "refresh" an engine by re-ringing and putting in new
bearings. I've done it myself a number of times. And with TR6 engines in
particular, it seems to be a conservative engine maintenance strategy.

BUT - it also means that you have to take the time to measure the bores to
make sure that they aren't worn and measure the crank to make sure the
journals are still rounds and so forth. Frankly, a lot of us skip that
step.

On the other hand, some folks tear the motor down and then bore it out to
whatever suits thier fancy, regrind the crank (even if it was round to
start with) and so forth just because "you might as well do it while you
have things apart. Is this a valid strategy? I guess so, but all the
operations that you do cost money and _it is possible to do them wrong_.
In the latter case, the result could be reliability issues.

Which is the right way to go? BOTH WAYS. But YOU or a trusted designate
must check to make sure the stuff is done right. When you pay a shop the
extra cash to do a job, this is what you are paying for.

I just thought I'd toss this out there for the typical healthy debate that
this list seems to follow.

rml
p.s. the shop that originally did Dan's motor is out of business. Hmmm. I
suppose we can all say "no surprise there".
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |