RE: engine removal

To: <DaCRANEz@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: engine removal
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:22:28 -0800
        Mike:

        I recommend that you pull the tranny first. It is too difficult
to get them out as a unit without bending something in the engine
compartment. The tranny only weighs 75 lbs, and so you can easily get it
out by yourself. Just remove the passenger seat and the transmission
tunnel (which you will need to do anyway).
        I pulled my engine with out a tilt thingy. Just make sure when
you put the straps on the motor to allow a little slack in the rear
straps so that as you lift the engine the rear will drop down a few
inches relative to the front. Be careful you don't snag the throttle
linkage, as it will bend (ask me how I know).
        By the way, getting the head off our motors can be difficult, as
the gasket is very tenacious. I popped the head loose before I removed
the motor by leaving the engine mounts attached. I took a bolt from the
junk drawer and ran it into the forward most bolt hole in the head for
the exhaust manifold. I loosened the head studs by about 1/4", and put
the hoist on the junk bolt I had just installed.
        By gently raising the motor using the hoist fastened to the
bolt, the head popped loose as the motor was lifted by about 1". The
loosened head studs allowed the head to come loose, and at the same time
kept it from coming completely off. I then lowered the motor and removed
the motor mount bolts, and removed the motor in the conventional manner.

        Others have popped loose the head by jacking the motor up from
underneath using a 2x4 wedged under the lip on the head where the
exhaust manifold is attached. Either way, you will find it much easier
to remove the head this way than by conventional means once the engine
is on the engine stand.

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6