Forwarded: Electrical Problem - help...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Electrical Problem - help...
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:11:28 -0700
For some reason this was sent to me rather than 6pack@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: don.silcock@bently.com
     Subject: Electrical Problem - help...
     Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:30:01 -0500

Over the weekend I had a near disaster on my TR6, which has been back on the
road now for 3 years after a 6 years rebuild when I nearly had a fire after
refitting my heater assembly. Luckily I had fitted a battery cut-off switch
a few months ago and managed to turn the power off before anything actually
caught fire, but it was very close...

What happened was as follows:

Last year on our annual major touring holiday the heater fan stopped
working. I had managed to get it working OK with the help of Dan Master's
book and then it just died - there was a slight burning smell and it just
stopped so I assumed that the motor had failed.

I finally got round to dismantling everything last weekend as we will be
doing another major trip at Easter. I got the fan to an auto-electrician who
checked it all out, stripped it down & cleaned it and pronounced it healthy.
This weekend I put it back in the car and then connected up the wiring as
per Dan's book & my Triumph workshop manual - they are both the same: GY @
terminal 8, GN @ terminal 6, G @ terminal 4 and white to earth.

I put the keys in the ignition and turned the fan on, checked both low &
high speeds were working OK and then turned off the ignition and removed the
keys.

About one minute later (I think) I noticed the smoke coming from behind the
dashboard and managed to turn off the power before it fired.

Once my heart rate returned to near normal I have checked all the wiring and
the majority of the damage appears to be on the section of the loom that
goes to the instrument console and all the heat appears to have been
generated on the large brown & white ammeter cable which melted the
insulation on the nearest adjoining smaller cable and all the plastic tape
binding the cables together.

It looked at first glance that I might be able to repair the loom because
the damage appears to be limited to the section going to the instruments but
I am obviously concerned about what I can't see. But of much bigger concern
is that I don't understand what caused the heat as I had not touched
anything else apart from the heater.

I emailed Dan Masters directly to get his advice, but have not had a
response yet as he may be away. Is there anybody else on the list who is an
expert in car electrics.

Don
Sydney, Australia