Re: Shock Conversion - Choices

To: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Subject: Re: Shock Conversion - Choices
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:47:36 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Cregg Cowan wrote:

> Hi Mike,

Hi All.

> I noticed that Moss sells the Horton conversion with SPAX shocks as an option.
> I assume that means that hooded shocks fit OK, but it may be worth a
> call/email to Horton
> to be sure.

I just wanted to clarify a detail here - the Spax shocks that I have
(several pairs) all have _plastic_ hoods, and the hoods can be removed at
pretty mush no detriment to the shock... It would appear that running the
shock sans hood would create a possible situation where the shock rod
could get "dinged", but that's about it.

As to why the hood is removable, it turns out that there is a bump rubber
under the boot. If you are tuning your car to the limits, you may need to
play with this rubber to get the right amount of travel for the shock. I
mention this because another poster indicated broken frame mounts after
installing an aftermarket shock conversion kit. If the shock bottoms out
_after_ the suspension goes past the designed limits of motion, the energy
has to go somewhere... It's probably safe to say that some energy was
directly tranferred to the rear upper x-member on that car and that
explains the broken frame. It could also be that the shock bottomed out
long before the trailing arm contacted the upper bump stop - again, the
energy has to go somewhere... looks like the frame lost that battle.

On my last "lowering project", I ran into this issue. I actually spent
more time figuring out the bump rubbers than I did figuring out how much
lowering to do. I wound up with a good 2 inches of suspension travel in
compression and I made it so the tires won't interfere with the upper
wheel arch in the "wings". And things came out just right such that the
frame just kisses the ground on full compression! Slick!

> Thanks for bringing this up (I think...)  Now I'm thinking about converting
> my car, too.
>
> Regards,
> Cregg Cowan
> CC63192 ('71)

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |