Re: Pertronix Ignitor ignition (on dark road in middle of

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pertronix Ignitor ignition (on dark road in middle of
From: BigOldWumper@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:14:04 EST
"Since the ignition will likely fail in the middle of a dark road, possibly
in the rain"

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. The Pertronix was one of the first
"upgrades" I put on my car when I first got it. After installing the Ignitor
and my
brand new carpeting and interior set, I set out for a drive on a nice, sunny
day, but not before removing the hard top to take in some rays. Well, to make
a long story short, the car sputtered out and died on the side of the road
about 2 miles from my house on the way back from my little trip. I'd be out for
couple hours, and hadn't had any problems up to that point, but my first
inclination was to check the Pertronix. I remove the distributor cap, and guess
what? The rotor had eaten up the wires! It had completely spun the wires from
the Ignitor around itself and snapped the wires out from the module. I had been
sure to give the wires on the module just enough slack inside the distributor
cap so as to not cause undue tension on the module, just as the installation
instructions from Pertronix had said. Evidently, when writing the instructions,
Pertronix had not considered the possibly that the extra "slack" might get
twisted up by the rotor! Anyway, I call a pick up truck, and within 5 minutes
it
starts raining. Within 10 it's pouring, and after 30 minutes I'm still
waiting for the pickup truck; just sitting there, on the side of the road, my
new
carpting pooling up with rainwater. This was all about a year and a half
ago...I
wonder if I can still get a refund from Pertronix?? Anyway, needless to say,
I can't really endorse this product. BUT, NO MATTER WHAT, always carry a spare
set of points!!! I learned that the hard way.

-Sean

In a message dated 2/12/2004 11:27:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, plz@shaw.ca