Re: Treating Rust

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Treating Rust
From: webb@daikin-america.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:18:24 -0600
Nick,

I am working on some rust on my Alfa using a Wurth Rust Guard (POR 15
equivalent) and Great Stuff metal prep.

I removed the loose rust and sprayed with the Great Stuff - the rust turned
black but I was unable to apply the Rust Guard immediately.

As the car sat about a week and it rained the black turned whitish and the
black became flacky and came off easily. I'm a little gunshy on using the
metal prep now. I ground it down to mostly bare metal then just applied the
rust guard. As they say in their instructions it is important to rough up
the surface before applying as rust guard (& POR15?) doesn't stick well to
smooth surfaces.

Also, the rust guard leaves a very smooth surface which needs to be wet
sanded before topcoating. I tried topcoating with Duplicolor spray-on truck
bedliner (which seems like a very good product) but applied it too early
and it flaked off.

Moral of the story - allow yourself time to complete each step properly and
follow instructions closely.

I would like to hear from those who have worked on rust 5 or 6 years ago,
how they did it and if it came back.

Pat
76 & 74 TR6