Re: Sachs vs. B&B

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sachs vs. B&B
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:46:04 -0800 (PST)
E-mail message

From: william.mcintire@wright.edu Date: Fri, Feb 27, 2004, 4:57pm
(PST+3) To: 6pack@autox.team.net, tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick
Taylor) Subject: RE: Sachs vs. B&B

Bill wrote:
<In the early 60' we would have an occasional problem with new
(replacment)clutch assy's not disengaging. Finally determined the
problem was in the presure plate. For whatever reason it lacked
sufficient travel to disengage the disc.>

Bill---It could be that these clutches had no slave cylinder in which to
automatically take up the slack due to parts wear and such. If this were
so, then shimming the clutch plate rearward could have the same effect
as adjusting the linkage that ultimately moves the TOB forward. I would
assume that there would be a limit to how much one could shim the clutch
away from the flywheel before slippage would take place.

Whatever, we know that the  SC setup in our sixes does not lend itself
to shimming or spacing, as it will compensate for any attempt to do
this, and we end up back where we started!

Dick

<We initially switched discs, to no avail. Put shims under the pressure
plate bolts to move it away from the flywheel a bit and it cured the
problem. And, yes, we did replace the pressure plate rather than let it
go shimmed.
Just a FWIW>
Bill   '70 6