Re: Sachs vs. B&B

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sachs vs. B&B
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:32:31 -0800 (PST)
 Jay----No arguement here with your reply...but he didn't change to the
larger (diam.) T/O bearing to solve his problem. He changed the clutch.
We know the bearing stays up against the fingers, esp. when preloaded.
The motion necessary to then release the clutch should take place when
the pedal is about one inch or more from the floorboard. Depressing the
pedal beyond this moves the clutch parts even farther away from each
other. Disengagement should not have been an issue, regardless of the
bearing or style of the fingers. Since others report no problem with the
Sachs and Gunst combo, I can't understand the BPNW explanation.

John may have the answer if he finds the clutch disc to be warped.
Another possible explanation could be if the clutch were not bolted up
squarely to the flywheel. Either would be reason for the clutch to
"drag" during disengagement.

Dick

Jay wrote:

The TOB does have some affect. The diameter of the TOB determines the
contact point on the fingers, and the lever action. The larger the TOB
dia, the further out the contact, the lesser motion required, but more
force required. The smaller the TOB dia, the less force is requird, but
more motion.
This may have contributed to the engagment problem.
---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From:
John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net> Reply-To: John Mitchell
<jmitch@snet.net> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:06:52 -0500
The only other reason I can think of for it not disengaging is possibly
the friction plate was bent or out of round. I turned it on the output
shaft and it looked ok but cant say for sure.   John
Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:
John, Ashford, Jay and other interested parties----It escapes me as to
how the "configuration" of the Sachs fingers will not accept the Gunst
bearing. No matter the brand of bearing, it should have nothing to do
with the travel necessary to

<From: jmitch@snet.net (John Mitchell) Date: Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 7:16am
(PST+3) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor),
6pack@autox.team.net (6-Pack), triumphs@autox.team.net Subject: Re: One
more Gunst question
Dick, I spoke with BPNW and they confirmed this.   They said it had to
do with finger configuration. I even put a pipe on the lever. I could
get it to disengage, but it still dragged.>   John