RE: TR6 Wheel / Rim Silver Paint

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Wheel / Rim Silver Paint
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:57:54 -0800
        Ronnie:

        Another option to consider. I had painted my spare,
and when the tire shop ran the wheel through their mounting
machine, quite a lot of the paint was scraped off. Needless to
say I found this annoying, considering all the time I spent
wire brushing, priming, painting, etc.
        I ended up having the wheels sand blasted and powder
coated at a local powder coaters for $35 a wheel. Used their
standard aluminum color at a 60% gloss, and it was a very
nice match with the paint (I had used the Moss motors wheel
paint, dunno how well it matched the original color though).
        The powder coating is unbelievably tough, and the next
time through the tire mounting machine, the color came out
untouched. I tossed my redlines and put on a fresh set of
Yokohama Avid Touring 205x70-SR15. The Michelins were as
hard as a rock, and VERY old. Probably a blowout waiting to
happen.
        Anyway, think about powder coating. It is another
option and much more durable.

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6