RE: Dirty !@*&#^%*@!!!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dirty !@*&#^%*@!!!
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:34:03 -0800
        Listers:

        Several of you have commented on your personal experiences with
freeze plugs. I had no idea that weeping plugs were so common, so I
guess I am not a total poseur after all. I feel my mood improving
already, and it was just in time. I had tossed a rope over one of the
rafters and tied it around my neck, and was getting ready to kick the
stool out from underneath myself. I guess my wife won't get to collect
on my life insurance just yet =:-o.
        One idea that was mentioned by several people was that slight
leaks will go away after a couple of thermal cycles on the motor. Cool!
My leaks are VERY small (about 1 drop every 10 minutes or so) so this
may just work. I think I will get some new plugs this weekend just in
case.
        A LBC mechanic friend suggested just warming the motor and then
giving the plugs a couple extra taps with the appropriate sized socket.
He said he sees this often, and the extra taps often cure them on the
spot. He said if that doesn't work, he just drives the car a couple
times, and more often than not they stop leaking on their own. He never
puts the plugs in himself, he always lets the machine shop do it, and he
STILL has problems with them from time to time. He stated that if a
customer wants a leak fixed for cheap, he gets a rubber plumber's plug
with a nut in the middle and uses that rather than pull a head (or
whatever) to replace a $1 freeze plug. Sorry, that's too much of a hack
for me. (Like to see my new motor? Sometimes it leaks, but I just jiggle
the toilet flush handle to get it to stop...)
        I did think the freeze plug popping out was the best story yet,
and it was installed by a pro. Sigh. I guess I can't do any worse than
that.
        I am busy the rest of the week, so will not get to try starting
the motor till the weekend some time. Stay tuned, and thanks for the
help!

        Happy Trails,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6