RE: 1973 TR6 Heater Core & Fan

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1973 TR6 Heater Core & Fan
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:05:31 -0500
Hi Steve,

The advice from Jim Davis is right on target.

Just wanted to mention that if the hoses are hooked to the heater core, it
is full of coolant and even pressurized when the engine is warm. If the
valve is closed coolant is still present just not circulating. The paper
towels are a good idea just in case the renewed flow of coolant exposes a
pinhole that has been plugged with sludge or sediment.

You can tell quickly if coolant is flowing by checking the hose temp between
the valve and the firewall. The TR6 has a pretty good heater (the valve is
another matter). With a hard top I drove my car for many Maine winters. The
valve had been replaced with a plumbing style shut off. Open the valve in
the Fall and close it in July.

Rick Patton
Brunswick Maine
75 Delft Blue EFI TR6