Mystery plate - just curious

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Mystery plate - just curious
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:43:36 EST
Curious and probably dumb question but I can't seem to find this in either
the Bentley or TRF catalog -- What's the purpose of the approx. 4" round plate
that's riveted into the rear of the spare tire well?  Is this similar to the
non-functional jacking holes in the floorpan area or is there another purpose
for this?  From underneath I can't feel anything but the rivets so I assume
this
is a leftover from some older configuration or mold process and has no real
useful purpose on a 6, but it just seems odd.

Micky Long, Atlanta
72 TR 6