Transmission

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission
From: "Harmon, Mike" <MHarmon@sces.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:47:56 -0500
Help,
I'm a novice but willing to try most anything.  I recently disassembled the
transmission on my 1974 TR6.  I bought the car a few years ago to redo,
probably can't say restore but I have the car completely disassembled.  It
needed a lot of work to get it ready for the road.  I am now putting the
transmission back together, replaced the bearings and other suggested parts
though someone else had been in the transmission and everything looks good.
I probably should have left it alone.  I made the fatal mistake of not
labeling or keeping in order the many parts (mainly the thrust washers and
where they went).  Anyway, I reassembled everything but there seems to be a
lot of free play in the syncro hub assembly for 1st and 2nd gear.  I can
easily move it forward and back at least 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.  The 3rd and
4th hub syncro does not move like this at all.  Do I have something turned
wrong?  Also the thrust washers are all very close in thickness though some
do have a wider surface.  How can I tell which thrust washer goes where.  I
have gone to the Buckeye web site and have been using their technical
rebuild instruction (it has been a big help) but somehow I think I am
missing something.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't want to
be known as the DPO.
Mike Harmon
SC