Re: Heating probs

To: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heating probs
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:46:48 -0600
At 11:25 AM 3/28/04, kmcnelis@nmsu.edu wrote:

>Now, the problem:  it seems to run too hot, especially in stop-n-go
>traffic.  I
>have run the engine with the radiator cap off, the fluid seems to be
>circulating well.  I think the water pump is probably OK.  What should I
>start
>to replace first (given my very limited budget)?  Should I replace the
>radiator?  Should I replace to OE fan with an electric?  The temp gauge gets
>right to the red zone (but not up into the red).

Have you checked the operation of the thermostat to make sure it is opening
on time and fully? Have you tried to backwash (from the rear of the core
towards the front of the car) the radiator core with a garden hose? All
those dead bugs in there will affect heat transfer. Those are the cheapest
things to try first. Next I would have the radiator flushed. If those don't
help, then you might have to have the radiator re-cored.

Hope this helps some.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58