Heating probs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Heating probs
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:25:51 -0700
OK, I will admit it.  I have written several times, sometimes lamenting my
ownership of a '72, and asking dumb questions.  Most of the replies were
encouraging "Keep working" kinds of replies, and a few were of the "You're not
fit to drink the used oil from a TR".  To the former, thanks for the
encouragement.  Everything is working, I drive a lot, sometimes in a
very "sporting" manner.  It is a great deal of fun, and I am beginning to
trully LOVE my car.

Now, the problem:  it seems to run too hot, especially in stop-n-go traffic.  I
have run the engine with the radiator cap off, the fluid seems to be
circulating well.  I think the water pump is probably OK.  What should I start
to replace first (given my very limited budget)?  Should I replace the
radiator?  Should I replace to OE fan with an electric?  The temp gauge gets
right to the red zone (but not up into the red).

Suggestions?

Kevin