RE: #$@% Spring Fever

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kai@radiohead.net>
Subject: RE: #$@% Spring Fever
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:49:47 -0500
Kai wrote:
Could you give me the details, including the price, you paid at Tire Rack
for
the 16" Panasports with the mounted Kuhmos.  I have been looking for the
same deal... and you're right, ordering mounted from Tire Rack is a time and
money saver!

I plan on writing up a more detailed description of my experiences for my
website later.  But in the meantime, here's the quick and dirty.

1.  The Tire Rack does not stock Panasports, but they can order them.
2.  My 16" Panasports cost me $246 a piece plus an additional $28 for the 16
lug nuts.
3.  I ordered Kumho ECSTA KH11 summer tires in size 215/16/60 - $51 per.
These are W-rated speed tires.
4.  Shipping was $72.
5.  Mounting and balancing was free.
6.  Delivered to my door was a total of $1,288.
7.  My sales person was Jim Holloman [jim@tirerack.com].  NFI

The main reason I wanted to order from these guys was the hope that they
could deliver the tires mounted and balanced - which they did.  The price
was not amazing, but at least comparable and then I would have had to pay
more to get them mounted.

Another bit of news.  My TR6 has the "comp" springs from The Roadster
Factory on all four corners.  I have a 1/2" spacer in the rear to level the
car out.  My previous tires were 205/75/15.  These new tires appear (I
haven't measured yet) to have almost an identical rolling radius and I
experienced no rubbing when I took a quick test drive.  The 60 series tires
in this size give a little meatier look to the TR6, which I like also, but
also fill out the wheel wells nicely.  I'll add some photos later.

Another bit of trivia.  I went and got the bathroom scale and placed both my
old tires and wheels and the Panasports to see what they weighed.  They
weighed the same.  I got an indicated 44 lbs for each, which mean I was able
to increase the tire size and wheel diameter and still retain the same
unsprung weight.

The link where you will be able to see what these look like on my car will
be:

http://www.geocities.com/ralittle2/spring_fever.htm

The photos are not up right now, but later tonight maybe.

Oh, and in my quick test drive the seat of the pants feeling was very good
indeed.  I could tell I had more contact patch underneath me and they rode
much smoother than the steel wheels - no surprise there.

Cheers,

R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6