RE: Man am I stumped

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <airbear72@att.net>
Subject: RE: Man am I stumped
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:38:09 -0500
Airbear?

>I am heading my way to the timing chain area next. But before I go that far
 >I wanted to see if there is anything I am missing in the ABC of things.

Before you take on the engine timing, take a step back. You say compression
is 135+ so your valve timing is OK.

You mentioned that even spraying starting fluid into the carbs did nothing.
Therefore you MUST have an ignition problem otherwise it would, at the very
least, pop and cough. Is the spark blue and strong? My suggestion is to go
back and check over the points and condenser carefully. Look over the cap
and the rotor button for cracks and carbon tracing.

If you stop the engine with the points in an open position you can quickly
check the coil. Pull out the coil's output wire and replace it with a plug
wire. Don't worry about the fit. Connect the wire to a spare plug and lay it
against the engine block. Turn the key to ignition (not the start position)
and bridge the gap between the points with the blade of a screwdriver.
Making and breaking the circuit with the screwdriver tip will cause the coil
to fire the plug. It should be a good blue spark. That simple test will also
check the primary wiring to the distributor. Low tech but it works. If you
get a good spark, either the points are glazed over, not making contact or
the cap/rotor is bad.

good luck,

Rick Patton
75 Delft Blue EFI TR6