Slave Cylinders

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slave Cylinders
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:27:47 -0500
I happen to have a bunch of slave cylinder in stock, so I decided to take
some measurements.  I also checked the slave that is mounted on my own car
and this is what I found:

My car has a Lockheed cylinder mounted (about 30 months old), no grinding of
the humps at the rear of the cylinder was necessary for it to fit.  It also
fits flush against the mounting bracket, as intended.  I measured the widest
portion of the rear of the body at 1.503".

So I pulled out some County knock-off slave cylinders from stock, and
measured the widest portion of their body.  They are all machined to have a
maximum diameter of 1.490" at the rear of the body.  This measurement was
the same on all four of the County cylinders I measured.

So there is no question the County units are of slightly smaller diameter
overall and will easily slide into the bracket.  The only Lockheed unit I
had access to is the one in my TR6, and as I said, it fit without issues.  I
also sold another Lockheed unit about four weeks ago to a local customer and
he had no fitting issues.

It should be noted that the Lockheed cylinder has a much narrower waist line
than the County unit, but it is the humps at the rear which contribute the
greatest to its overall diameter.

So anyway, this must only be an issue with a batch of these Lockheed
cylinders that some suppliers received... as the ones I personally have used
on TR6s and the ones I have sold have had no fitting issues at all.

Does anyone have a Lockheed cylinder that does not fit, and that they have
not modified yet, that could take a measurement of the widest portion of the
body so that we could know what the variation in size is?

Cheers,

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke