Lever Dampers

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lever Dampers
From: "Michael Corbitt" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 08:55:43 -0700
Im preparing to boldly go where I have not been before  a full evaluation,
and rework where necessary, of my rear suspension and axles.  I purchased my
TR6 late last summer and until I work through this I havent been comfortable
driving any further than about 10 miles from home.  My car has the familiar
rear-end clunk along with a bouncy suspension that will bottom at times over
some terrains.

Last night I reviewed all the 6-Pack emails Ive collected since last fall on
this subject and I have to say this group is a wealth of knowledge (and
opinions).  It's most appreciated.

Two questions.

First, with a bouncy rear suspension I presume the dampers need replaced.  For
now, Im planning to keep my lever dampers, however, one of the emails I read
quoted World Wide Auto Parts as saying that as long as they dont leak they
dont need to be replaced.  Do they just need to have the oil checked or
replaced to bring them back?  Or is it overly weak (original) springs that are
contributing to the problem?

Second, (okay, third question) I would like to upgrade my rear end with a
little stiffer spring than OE.
Do I need to also have my dampers rebuilt with a stiffer upgrade as offered by
World Wide Auto Parts and Apple Hydraulics to compliment the stiffer damper?

All comments and opinions are much appreciated.

Mike
69 TR6
Corvallis, OR