Re: Lost Californian needs help with TR6

To: kaicee <kaicee@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Lost Californian needs help with TR6
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 16:06:49 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I saw one or two other replies to your message but figured I'd toss in the
a few comments.

One option is that you can just live with the uneven gaps. Don't take this
to mean that you can ignore safety altogether, but get the car on a lift
and verify the state of the frame -  as this is the source of the
door alignment issues. So, if the frame is solid and not rusted/cracked,
just live with it.

It is possible to fix the door gaps with the body on the frame, but IMHO
this can be pretty shoddy. I've seen some really interesting botches to
this regard.

What needs to be said is that when new, the doorgaps weren't too perfect
to start with. When I see a TR6 at a car show with perfect gaps, my first
reaction is "over-restored". I don't mean any disrespect, but one of the
charms of Triumphs in general is the quirkiness. I like to think of the
imperfect lines as a badge of honor.

Just make sure that the doors open/close okay and start driving your new
Triumph!

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |