RE: Question on the Electronic Ignition System.

To: mbrandon0512@rogers.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Question on the Electronic Ignition System.
From: "Cris Hemingway" <cris_tr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:07:26 -0700
Adjusting the location of the optical trigger changes the point that the
ignition triggers relative to the poles on the distributor cap.  You want to
set it so that the optical trigger fires the ignition when the rotor is
directly in line with the pole on the cap.  The way to check this is to take
an old cap that still works, and drill a 1/4 " hole in the top of the cap
directly in line between the center button and one of the posts. Also draw a
visible line directly from the center button on the rotor to the end that is
parrallel with the trailing edge of the rotor contact ( about 1/4" from the
very end of the brass contact strip) Attach a timing light to the plug wire
for this post, start the car up and  use the strob effect of the timing
light to see where the ignition is actually firing by pointing the light at
the hole you made in the cap.  You can move the point that the igniton fires
relative to the rotor position by moving the optical trigger.  This doesnt
affect the timing relative to the motor, just ensures that the rotor is in
the best spot to make contact with the pole on the distributor cap when it
fires.

Hope this helps.
Cris

>From: "Mike Brandon" <mbrandon0512@rogers.com>
>To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Question on the Electronic Ignition System.
>Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:35:20 -0400
>
>Hi Team,
>
>There is a Crain (a.k.a. Allison XR-700) Electronic Ignition on my TR6
>1975,
>however I do not have the instructions. So I wonder if someone out there
>can
>tell me about the optical pick-up adjustment? The optical pick-up is
>located
>inside the distributor, held down with a screw in a slot. My question is
>what is this adjustment  for? Does the movement of the position of the
>optical pick up, over the shutter wheel, change the timing? If not I'd love
>know just what this adjustment is for. Thanks for your help.
>
>Mike.
>TR6  CF-30480-UU

Cris Hemingway

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*