Re: Distributor installation

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor installation
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 00:06:54 -0700
Walt wrote:
Hello List:
<Today I embarked on what I thought would be the quick removal of my old
distributor and replacement with a rebuilt unit. I've had a devil of a
time getting the two teeth of the new distributor to seat properly so
that the hold down clamp and pinch bolt can be tightened. It seems that
I end up with a loose and free spinning rotor when I finally get
everything clamped down. Shaft length is the same for both
distributors.>

Walt---Two areas could be causing the mismatch here. Let's do the easy
one first:
If all you did was take out the old distributor and put in another,
chances are the "two teeth" you refer to are 180 deg. out of phase. This
will keep the distributor from dropping into the mating keyway in the
drive gear, seating below the pedestal.
Get the engine turned  the pointer is at TDC, where the rotor tip would
normally be pointing to #1 plug wire tower in the cap.

Note that the two teeth, or key drive at the end of the distributor is
not symmetrical. The offset should be towards the engine. These two will
mate when turned to the same position, and the pinchbolt bracket will
then rest on the pedestal, no space between them. The rotor will now
turn with the engine. Retiming will probably be necessary.

IF you removed the pedestal and had the distributor drive dog out for
some reason, and it will now not drop down all the way, it is because of
interferrence from the oil pump drive dog. You can turn the pump using a
long screwdriver, to get it to line up with the slot that drives it.
Some fiddling is required. When lined up, the drive gear will drop down.
The milled cuts will be at approx. twenty to two. (See the manual for
illustrations, if necessary)

Dick

<I hope that you have some tips for me. I thought that the new
distributor might have a problem so I attempted to reinstall the old one
with the same results. Help!
Side questions: Should the rotor be pointing at cylinder terminal #1
when the timing wheel is at TDC? It seems that the two teeth on the
distributor shaft only seat about 1/2 way in the slots if everything is
properly installed. Is this correct?
Your input is very much appreciated.
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6