Re: Running Hot UPDATE

To: "Mark Martin" <markmartin@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Running Hot UPDATE
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:28:04 -0700
        Mark:

        This is starting to sound suspiciously like a blown head gasket
to me.
Any white smoke in the exhaust? Bubbles in the coolant? Is one of your
spark
plugs all clean and shiny, like it is getting steam cleaned while the
engine
is running? Does your overflow bottle seem unusually full, or perhaps
you
seem to be losing more coolant from your radiator than seems normal? Any

dribbles of coolant running down the side of the block from the vicinity

of the head?
        While it is unlikely to be a BHG, the clues are beginning to
mount.
Didn't you mention that the engine had been rebuilt in the recent past?
Check for the correct head gasket, and that it was installed correct
side
up. Later cars should have a 3/8" tab on the head gasket protruding from
between the head and block at the rear of the motor. If it is missing or
at the front of the block (behind the water pump) then the gasket is
wrong
or incorrectly installed.
        Conversely, on the earlier motor, and you have a tab at either
the front or rear of the block, you have the wrong head gasket.
Wrong/incorrect
head gaskets will almost always blow after a few months.
        I don't remember which year they changed the gasket design, but
I am pretty
sure it coincided with the manifold change: log style intake=earlier
gasket,
swept style intake=later head gasket.

        Here's hoping I am wrong.

        Vance