Re: Swap meet offerings -- was Re: Surrey Glass

To: sixpack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Swap meet offerings -- was Re: Surrey Glass
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:15:34 -0400
Well, it wasn't all bad at Carlisle....

On my last pass late Friday, I picked up what appears to be a rebuilt
Volvo transmission with a J type Overdrive for $150.00. Luckily John
Esposito was there and confirmed that it was the correct J type and
could be fitted to a TR6.

The guy selling it seemed to be an honest guy -- let me walk away with
the trans to show it to John Esposito before paying for it. He claims it
was rebuilt by a reputable, but going out of business, Mercedes Bendz,
BMW, Volvo repair shop, called Elizabeth-Haus, in Elizabeth NJ. Anyone
ever hear of it.

Esposito said it was a deal so I did it. The trans was freshly painted
with new gaskets -- hard to know what's inside.

There are also some expensive incidentals to convert a Volvo J type to a
TR6, not to mention the frame conversion kit because it's headed for a
71 TR6, so we'll see just how good a deal it was. Guess a lot depends on
whether it was really rebuilt or not and how well.

Maybe I'll end up selling it to someone with a 73 - 76 and getting an A
type.

Anyone know what I can do with the rest of the rebuilt Volvo trans after
the OD is removed -- I have a boat but it already has a anchor.. :-)

But I agree -- eBay has had it's affect on parts meets.

I was told Carlisle was all kit cars and Hondas, but seemed to me it was
mostly Triumph and MGs with some VW and Volvo's tossed in. Lots of hats
and T shirts for sale too.

It was much smaller than my last attendance in the early 90s.

Don Malling