Re: Powerband

To: DaCRANEz@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Powerband
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:24:38 +0000

> My 71 TR6 just doesn't seem to build any power after 4000 rpm. I recently
> rebuilt it. Raised CR to 9.5to1, installed 1.6to1 roller rockers, replaced
>stock
> cam with S2,Lucas sport coil, new exhaust system with double outlet stock
> manifold,rebuilt
> Strombergs (new throttle shafts and seals, bypass valves closed). Right now I
> have the carbs adjusted to full rich. I have tried both points and Pertronix
> with no change in performance other than a smoother idle with the electronic
> ignition. The timing is set at 6 degrees BTDC running-any more advanced and
>it
> pings. Retard is disconnected and plugged at carb (vacuum module is bad).
> Distributor is a Lucas 41352 which has a pretty radical advance curve. The
>power
> just goes flat at 4000 rpm. Is this the nature of the beast? If not is this a
> possible lack of fuel problem or an ignition problem? If anybody has any
> suggestions I surely appreciate your input.
Based on what you have done to your car, your engine should pull strongly all
the way to 6000 (you did have it balanced, didn't you?). I have similar work on
mine (Z19 cam instead of S2), and until I put Super Trapp mufflers on the car,
it happily ran to 6000 all of the time (and beyond when I wasn't careful). The
Super Trapps have changed that, now the car doesn't want to rev as freely, and
struugles above 5000. Yes, the Super Trapps will be going away.
Your problem could be fuel related or ignition related. I would concentrate on
one of those, exhaust all possiblilties, and then if you haven't seen
improvement, work on the other one.
HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U