Re: Powerband

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Powerband
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:32:53 -0700
Mike ---One way to see, if the lack of power is fuel delivery related,
is to take the engine up to your (4,000) flat area, sort of slowly. You
can take it to 3,000 in fourth gear if you like. Down shift to third.
The float bowls should be full because of the relaxed way you got to the
test point.  Then nail it!  With the equipment you have, (mostly the S-2
cam) there should be no problem in getting to 6,000. If there is a
chance in running out of safe room to do this, drop down a gear to
second, and start the test at 40 mph.

If the engine still feels flat at over 4,000 chances are that it's not
fuel delivery related. Even stock-needled ZS' should pull nicely to
5,500 and go on to red line.

Your ignition timing starting at 6BTDC should be adequate for this, and
reach about 27 deg. when all in.

There is a slight chance that your exhaust system is holding you back.

Will the engine see red line if you take it up at a more gradual pace?

Dick

Mike C. wrote:
My 71 TR6 just doesn't seem to build any power after 4000 rpm. I
recently rebuilt it. Raised CR to 9.5to1, installed 1.6to1 roller
rockers, replaced stock cam with S2,Lucas sport coil, new exhaust system
with double outlet stock manifold,rebuilt
Strombergs (new throttle shafts and seals, bypass valves closed). Right
now I have the carbs adjusted to full rich. I have tried both points and
Pertronix with no change in performance other than a smoother idle with
the electronic ignition. The timing is set at 6 degrees BTDC running-any
more advanced and it pings. Retard is disconnected and plugged at carb
(vacuum module is bad). Distributor is a Lucas 41352 which has a pretty
radical advance curve. The power just goes flat at 4000 rpm. Is this the
nature of the beast? If not is this a possible lack of fuel problem or
an ignition problem? If anybody has any suggestions I surely appreciate
your input.
Thanks Mike C '71 TR6