Another trailing arm bushing question...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another trailing arm bushing question...
From: "Chris David" <cdavid@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 09:05:31 -0400
My 72 is all over the place at above 50 MPH (again, car has been in my
possession only a month and many other things are higher on the list of things
to get done before the trailing arms (but soon after the car is street legal)

I see that among others, TRF offer no less than 4 sets of bushings for the
trailing arms.  My past experience has been that nylon was a killer. (on my
TR7 in the 80's) (I had a machinist friend make them)  I'll be using set #2
most likely (slightly stiffer than stock)

I'm assuming that my car's shimmy (and overall instability) is caused by this.
(I'm overwhelmed, the car is very simple but needs such a thorough
going-over)

Finally, my question..

At steady speed, what other factors could cause the car to "shimmy"?  (I would
recognize tire imbalance)