RE: Rough Running TR6

To: "'Ronald Olds'" <tr6@pipeline.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Rough Running TR6
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:49:30 -0700
Ron,

First on the '72 it is a retard unit rather than advance and it should
make a noticeable difference in the timing of the engine.

I was going to tell you what mine was, but I can never remember which
direction is which, I do know it makes a big change when plugged on/off.
As I re-read your message I had an additional idea, did you do what I
always do?  Try setting the timing to 12 deg BTDC (hose off) and then
plug it on.

Do you have the original smog stuff on?  If so take the hose from the
carburetors off the switch on the upper radiator hose and hook it
directly to the retard unit on the dist.  If the switch is bad you
should hear the change.

Try taking the dist. cap off and watching the points plate. Suck on the
hose going to the retard unit you should be able to make it move.  If
you haven't changed it since you got the car it's a good shot that the
retard unit has broke it's diaphragm.  They can be had from the Big
Three and are real easy to change.  One small clip on the points plate
and a drift pin near the diaphragm housing are all that hold the unit in

The aluminum lugs in the cap are normal.

I really should know which is which, but I do know where the book is
does that count?

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Also a '72 TR6
___________________________________
Subject: Rough Running TR6

My 72 TR6 is running a little rough and has a hesitation when
accelerating from idle.  I was doing my normal tune up for my emission
testing and things seem to be going from not too bad to worse. I believe
the vacuum advance is not working properly. When I remove the vacuum
line from the distributor there isn't much change in the timing.

I removed the line before adjusting the timing and think I remember a
big change in the timing.  I adjusted the timing to 4 degrees ATDC as I
always do. When I plugged in the line the timing didn't seem to change
much. I don't know if the hesitation is with the vacuum advance or some
other type of problem.

The distributor cap, rotor and points (checked gap) look ok. The lugs
inside the distributor cap look as if they are aluminum. Shouldn't these
be copper? If so does anyone know has this type.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone out there might have.

Thanks,

Ron Olds