Clunk!Clunk!Jeez not again!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clunk!Clunk!Jeez not again!
From: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:22:22 -0400
Well got in the Six yesterday for a nice relaxing drive, as I began to back
out the driveway I heard a klunk or more of a clank from the rear end. I put
it in 1st let the clutch out clank, reverse clank. I jacked the drivers side
rear wheel up , for some reason it seemed to be coming from that side , I
put the car in 1st brake off and turned the rear wheel clockwise, I took up
the slack in the rear-end and turned harder as I pushed harder the tire
slipped a bit more and I heard a clank that seemed to come from the diff. I
looked at the axle where it enters the diff and turned the tire the other
way , same thing, after the slack was out I pushed harder and I could see
the axle slip about 1/4" more after I took up the slack, I could hear a
small clank from the diff. Now this same exact thing happened last year! I
replaced the differential with a known good one I picked up and replaced the
U joints in the rear axles while they were out, although both rear axles
were rebuilt 2 years ago and seemed fine.  I also checked the diff mounts
last year and welded the gusset kit from TRF too. After the work last year
it was great, no clank and diff  was quiet, until now! The diff is quiet
other than the clank. Is it possible I need a new diff already?!@! Could it
be something I'm missing? This is really getting ridiculous. My driving is
spirited but I'm not doing hole shots.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Clanking away in New Hampshire,
Nick Gemas