Re: Gas smell

To: mbullard@verizon.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas smell
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:51:41 -0400
Mark,
The only true way to find where the smell is coming from is to trace the entire
fuel system.  That is the bad news.  The good news is that there isnt all that
much to trace.  It is a good idea to remove the trunk liner as someone
suggested and check for leaks under the tank.  And while you are in there check
to see if your vent holes and hoses are actually connected.  I too had a gas
smell.  Turns out that the cover seal was very bad.  Then the filler neck wasnt
tight at all.  Then the vent hose wasnt connected.  That was where a lot of the
smell came from, the vent hose.  Also, as I mentioned in my recent post, check
all the hoses on the car, under the car and under the hood.  It might be worth
bringing it to a mechanic just to get it up on a lift to make sure you can do a
really good job of checking the lines along the frame rail.  It doesnt take
much of a leak for the smell to be pretty bad and you might not see the leak
hitting the ground.
Let us know how it turns out.
AaronTopsham, Maine