RE: Gas smell

To: "RangerCRS" <rangercs@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: Gas smell
From: Mike Graham <triumph@lincsat.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:29:58 -0400
I had (and still have) this problem.

I replaced the seal on the cap and while I was rebuilding the engine and
removed the tank and had it cleaned and coated on the inside. There are no
leaks. So that may not the source of your gas smell.

I believe the problem has to do with the vapour emission system. There is a
vent (on my 73 TR6 at least) that is attached to a hose that should go to
the charcoal cannister. My cannister is missing so I assume the tank is
venting directly to the air. You can't block this hole because the cap is
not vented. I would also like to hear suggested solutions. I would suspect
you could block this vent and then drill a very small hole somewhere in the
filler cap to vent the tank. Wonder if others have done this.

Cheers, Mike

Mike Graham
Ottawa Valley Triumph Club
73 TR6