Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?

To: Nick Gemas <gln@worldpath.net>
Subject: Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:26:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Nick Gemas wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any other distributors that can easily be
> adapted to the TR6. My thought here is if my problem is a design problem
> that can't be solved with my Lucas distributor perhaps I can get a different
> distributor that has a cap design that might prevent the crossfire problems
> I'm having.

There are at least two Mallory distributors that you can install. These
are off-the-shelf replacements. One is the dual point unit - about $200.
The other is a "unilite" version which is considerably more $$$.

You can buy these from TRF and Moss for sure, because I have purchased
from both.

The biggest problem with non-standard (OEM) distributors is the lack of
tach drive. If you can live with an electronic tach, the Mallory is a
faily good choice (IMHO). I have Mallory dual point setups on both my
TR6's.

The neat thing about the Mallory is that it is totally tunable, both max.
advance and the "curve" with simple tools. Access to a dyno would make the
job easier, but not an absolute requirement.

Parts can be had from Summit and places like that in addition to Moss,
etc.

If your goal is more "engine management", I'd strongly recommend a
"system" like Jacobs of one of the MSD systems or if you want to dump the
distributor altogether - try the Electromotive crank-triggered systems!

If your goal is more parts-bin sourcing - I do know that other Triumph
folks have come up with interesting solutions, but the only direct
references that I've seen are for wet-liner Triumphs...

> Thanks Nick Gemas

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |