Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?
From: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:03:47 -0400
    Well I spoke to the guys at Crane today and they assured me that the cap
and rotor design shouldn't be a problem. They're sure it's a phasing
problem, so I'll get back at it next day off. They did recommened a
distributor cap with brass posts, so if you guys know of a sourse please let
me know, I haven't had any luck yet.
    Vance was wondering why I chose Crane and why invest so much into the
ignition when there are no horsepower gains there. Well I've done just about
all the bolt on stuff, headers, triple carbs , cam, roller rockers Ansa
Exhaust and such, but I've always felt that the ignition was the weak link.
Hard starting , running rich at idle, which I know is a characteristic of
the cam but I'm sure that the ignition will help here. I will tell you that
while trying to troubleshoot the intermittent missing I noticed that the car
fired right up stone cold with NO CHOKE ! And the throttle response besides
the missing seemed to be much better.My other thought was helping with
needles . I need the next richer Zenith needle for my engine which runs
perfect at all throttle positions except rich at idle . My stock needle runs
a bit rich at idle and LEAN LEAN at all other throttle positions. I think
this ignition will help me jump into the next needle due to it's multispark
below 3000 rpm. I chose Crane because in doing some research I found a lot
of unhappy people with MSD systems. They definitely seem to have a
reliability problem right now and Crane seems to have a good product.
    Dale was inquiring about wires , plugs and plug gap. I'm running Crane
8.5 mm Firewire that I bought with the system and I'm running NGK plugs, I
can't remember what they are except they are one step colder than stock and
I'm gapping them .45 thou.

Please let me know if anyone knows where I can get a dist. cap with brass
posts.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes,
Nick Gemas