U-Joint advice

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: U-Joint advice
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:24:03 -0400
I am having trouble installing my U-Joints.

I bought one of these per advise from the list. It appears to work well
in removing the U-Joints, but I am having my problems using it to
install the new ones.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335

The major problem is the open hole opposite the screw shaft. I thought I
could cover it with a piece of steel, but there are just too many parts
to hold in place and I have too few hands. John Esposito looked at it
and scratched his head. He didn't get how to use it either for
reassembly. The fact that the screw shaft is turning doesn't help things
either. I'm having major problems getting the cups to start in straight.
They get cocked at an angle and it's over.

John threw up his hands and said "I just use a vice"

So How big a vice do I need? Is 6" OK or do I need 8"

6" vice
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3796

Any opinions on this 20 ton press? I know it's overkill for U-Joints but
maybe I can use it for other stuff?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32879

Thanks,

Don Malling