Re: Re: Wheel bearing racers

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Re: Wheel bearing racers
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:56:12 -0400
Don,

I believe it is just the migration of grease from the two bearings over time as
its "spun" away from the bearings.  The same reason the grease cap is full of
grease.  That's in part the reason why it is recommended to repack bearings on
a scheduled basis.  My guess is the grease gets tired after awhile, like motor
oil, thins out and some of its lubricating properties are lost.  Nonetheless
when I rebuilt my suspension I applied a thin coating of grease just inside the
hub where each race is located.  I figure any debris (don't ask me what!) would
get trapped in the grease intead of getting tossed into a bearing.  Maybe
unlikely, but what the heck.

Greg Dito
CD6250L

> From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
...what is the point of all that grease inside the hub, and how much is enough?